Getting Started with 7punches
7punches is a time clocking app that integrates seamlessly with 7shifts. This allows you to manage Employee scheduling as well as time and attendance all in one place. You then have the ability to export Reports for payroll or send this information directly to your payroll provider through one of our available Payroll Integrations and Exports.
With 7punches, your Employees can clock in and out from an iPad, tablet, or mobile phone terminal. There is also an option to pull up the punch pad on a computer.
SKIP AHEAD TO:
Here's how to get started
1. Log in to your 7shifts account as the Administrator and head over to your profile picture > Add-ons.
2. Click on the '7punches' add-on option.
3. Click on the 'Enable 7punches' option.
4. Next, select 'Go to 7puches.'
5. Click on 'Start Time Clocking.'
6. You will be prompted to enter the end date of your last payroll and your payroll frequency. Select the box 'On 7punches.'
7. Click on 'Next' to continue. After doing so, your first payroll period will be generated.
Going forward, when you click on a payroll period, you’ll be able to see which Employees have clocked in and at what time, all in real-time.
8. Next, configure your Time Clocking settings by heading to the 'Settings' tab. Here you can check the boxes for the features you want to use when it comes to when and how employees will be able to punch in.
The 'General settings' will apply if you are using 7punches or a third-party POS integration that supports certain Actual Labor features:
The '7punches settings' will only apply if you are using 7punches for time clocking:
9. Be sure to click 'Save' at the bottom of the page when you're done.
10. Finally, you will need to download the 7punches app for iOS or Android on your tablet / mobile device that will be used for punching-in:
After you've set up the punch pad / terminal for your staff, here's a quick look at how employees will punch in:
Click here to learn more.
Approved vs. Unapproved Time Punches
By default, a time punch is marked as unapproved if the Employee clocked in before their shift start time, clocked out later than their scheduled end time, or was Auto-punched out. You will also see a tag for any Advanced Labor Exceptions in the punch.
Punches requiring approval will be labeled in red. Click the 'Pencil' icon to edit the punch or simply click on 'Approve' to allow it, but not make any changes to the punch.
Punches can automatically be approved by setting up your Auto-approval Period within the 7punches settings. The Auto-approval Period is the minutes before / after a shift starts that an Employee can clock in and the minutes before / after a shift ends that an employee can clock out. If the Employee's punches fall within these bounds, the punch will be automatically approved.
Example: With a 5 minute Auto-approval period, an Employee scheduled for a 10 am - 5 pm shift and punches in anytime between 9:55 am - 10 am, will have their punch auto-approved.
- A labor exception has occurred
- An enforced-break was not taken or not taken for the correct duration
- The Employee was Auto punched-out
To edit punch data:
1. Click the Time Clocking tab at the top of the screen, then select the appropriate Pay Period.
2. Find the Employee's punch and click on the 'Pencil' icon beside it.
3. The punch edit screen will allow you to edit the punch, add or modify breaks, and will show you the timeline of all events within the punch.
- For accounts that have enabled 'Declare Tips,' you will also have the option to add / edit tips.
- You will see a tag for any Advanced Labor Exceptions if you have enabled Advanced Labor Compliance.
4. Be sure to click 'Save' after making any changes.