Time Off 101 - Managers & Admin
SKIP AHEAD TO:
Time Off vs. Availability
Time Off - is where employees will ask their manager if there are specific days they need off or absolutely can't work.
Availability - is used for employees to communicate to managers which time of day, or which days of the week, that they typically can't work because of a conflict with school, another job, or another activity. Learn more about Availability here.
How to view and approve / deny Time Off requests
Employees will submit a Time Off request if there are days they absolutely cannot work.
Here's how a Time Off request works:
1. Employees request Time Off via the mobile app or via the web app at app.7shifts.com.
2. As a Manager, you are notified via SMS/push and email that a request is waiting for your approval. Time Off is located under the 'More' menu.
3. The Time Off page will show you all Time Off requests. You can navigate using the tabs on the left: Requests, Calendar, Blocked Days.
4. Requests are shown in order of date submitted. To edit the request, click on the date highlighted in blue.
To filter requests by Pending, Approved, and Declined, use the 'Statuses' dropdown menu. You can also filter by Employee and Location.
In order to view all requests for the month and identify potential conflicts, click on the 'Calendar' tab. This will show you all requests in a month view.
If there is a day that you cannot afford to have anyone take off, you can block the day off by going to Blocked Days. Read more about Blocked Days here.
5. Whether the Manager approves or declines the day(s) off, the Employee is notified by email or SMS/push.
6. If the Time Off is approved, it is plotted directly onto the schedule. You can hover over the day to view any comments about the request.
Viewing Pending Time Off on the Schedule Page
On the Schedule page, Time Off requests that are not yet approved or denied will show as 'Pending.'
1. Hover over the space to view the request details.
2. Click on the shift space to approve or deny the request.
3. You will be able to leave a comment before the approval / denial notification is sent to the employee.