New York Labor Compliance
Under New York city’s Fair Workweek legislation, employers in the restaurant industry must take certain measures to ensure that their employees have predictable and fair work schedules.
SKIP AHEAD TO:
To Enable Labor Compliance
1. Head to Company Settings > Labor & Compliance
2. Under the 'Jurisdiction' dropdown choose 'New York'
3. New York labor compliance settings will automatically populate. You can choose to manually adjust the settings at the bottom of the page and remember to click 'Save.'
4. To re-sync your settings to the New York defaults (including the Overtime rules), click the 'Re-sync labor & compliance settings' button.
Types of Exceptions
Spread of Hours
If an Employee’s workday spans more than 10 hours between the start of their first shift and end of their last shift.
If an Employee works two shifts over two days, and there is less than 11 hours between shifts.
Last Minute Schedule Change
Changes made to an Employee's schedule with fewer than 14 days notice. Including:
- Change in shift times
- Deletion of a shift
- If an Employee's punch in/out time doesn't match the latest scheduled shift, within an allowable variance of 15 minutes:
- Manual shift flags of Late / No-Show / Sick are exempted
- Employee-requested changes through the Shift Pool are exempted
To run the Labor Exceptions Report
1. Go to Reports > Labor Exceptions
2. Select the Date Range and Location and click 'Get Report.'
Included in the report:
- Employee who is owed the exception fee
- Date of the labor exception
- Exception type
- Exception fee
- Exception details
To avoid/reduce exceptions, you will be warned about potential exceptions as you make changes to your schedule. Each time you make a change to a shift that causes one or more exceptions, a warning modal will appear indicating the type of exception and the associated cost.
Before publishing a schedule, if there are labor exceptions that will be incurred, you will see a summary showing the number of exceptions, the total cost, and details of each exception.
Once published, the exception will be recorded in the report. Changing a shift multiple times can incur an exception each time, so be sure to consider the costs before making last-minute schedule changes.
You will also see a warning when assigning shifts through the Shift Pool that could cause an exception.
Exception Warnings within the Punch Edit Screen
If using 7punches, Exceptions for missed breaks and split shifts will show on the left side of the punch: